Accessing records – non-government organisations

How to access records held by non-government organisations

Many organisations that look after children are non-government bodies like religious or community organisations. These organisations may keep records you need. For example, you might need information about:

  • the time you spent in out-of-home care, like at an orphanage or a home
  • the role an institution had in your care arrangements as a child
  • a complaint you made to an organisation

Government organisations – like child protection agencies, courts, schools, hospitals and police – might also hold information about you. Read more about accessing records held by government organisations.

How knowmore can help

knowmore can help advise you about accessing your records and what to do if an organisation refuses your request. You can read more in our fact sheet below.