Financial counselling

Our specialist financial counsellors can assist people who are thinking about applying or have applied for:

Payments received from a redress scheme may be treated differently from other payments. It is important to understand how a redress payment may affect your situation, particularly if you receive a Centrelink payment, are in Aged Care or have any debts.

If you have received or expect to receive a payment from the National Redress Scheme or the Territories Stolen Generations Redress Scheme, our financial counsellors can work with you to:

  • review your financial situation
  • provide information on your options for any financial difficulties or unmanageable debts that you may have
  • advise you about the effect the lump sum payment will have, including any impact on Centrelink benefits or Aged Care fees
  • discuss ideas on how to protect and manage the money.

If you are having difficulty paying bills, debts or fines our financial counsellors can advise you about your rights and options. If necessary, they can speak with lenders or creditors on your behalf.

To make the most of your redress payment it is important to seek assistance before it is received.

If you would like to speak to a financial counsellor about a redress payment and how it might affect you, please call 1800 605 762. An intake worker will take your details and ask the financial counsellor to call you back.

Further information is being developed to assist you to understand the implications of receiving a Territories Stolen Generations Redress Scheme payment and will be added to the website as they become available.

Information for workers

knowmore also has a worker help line and information to assist workers supporting people applying for National Redress Scheme or Territories Stolen Generation Redress Scheme payments. If you are helping someone who is applying for these payments, please visit our ‘My client needs Financial Counselling help‘ page.