Our specialist financial counsellors can help people who are thinking about applying or have applied for the:
- National Redress Scheme (NRS)
- Territories Stolen Generations Redress Scheme (TSGRS)
- Victorian Stolen Generations Reparations Package (VSGRP).
These payments may be treated differently to other money. If you are applying for one of these payments, it is important to understand how a lump sum may affect your situation, particularly if you receive a Centrelink payment, are living in residential Aged Care or have any debts.
If you are thinking about applying for one of these payments, or if you have accepted an offer, we can work with you to:
- review your financial situation
- provide information on your options for any financial difficulties or unmanageable debts that you may have
- advise you about the effect the lump sum payment will have, including any impact on Centrelink benefits or Aged Care fees
- discuss ideas on how to protect and manage the money.
If you are finding it hard to pay bills, debts or fines we can advise you about your rights and options. If necessary, we can speak with lenders or creditors on your behalf.
To make the most of your payment it is important to seek assistance before you receive the money.
If you would like to speak to a financial counsellor about a redress or reparations payment and how it might affect you, please call 1800 605 762. An intake worker will take your details and ask the financial counsellor to call you back.
We offer a free, confidential and culturally safe service.
These factsheets give a bit more information about how a knowmore financial counsellor can help you.
Information for workers
knowmore also has a worker help line and information to assist workers supporting people applying for National Redress Scheme, Territories Stolen Generations Redress Scheme and Victorian Stolen Generations Reparation Package payments. If you are helping someone who is applying for these payments, please visit our My client needs Financial Counselling help page.