Reporting child abuse

Survivors of child abuse can choose if they wish to report

Everyone’s experience of child abuse is different. Some survivors choose to report their experience of child abuse. Some survivors choose not to report. It is important you have the information to choose what is right for you when it comes to reporting.

If you wish to report your experience of child abuse, you can report to the police or if there is a child currently at risk it may be relevant to report to a child protection agency. Child protection agencies are called by different names in different states and territories.

Who is a mandatory reporter?

Some people are legally required to report child abuse. These people are called ‘mandatory reporters’. Each state and territory has different laws about who is and is not a mandatory reporter and when they must report.