Some Stolen Generations survivors may be eligible for the Territories Stolen Generations Redress Scheme
The Territories Stolen Generations Redress Scheme offers financial and wellbeing support to some Stolen Generations survivors removed from the Northern Territory, Australian Capital Territory and Jervis Bay Territory.
The Scheme is provided by the National Indigenous Australians Agency, which is part of the Australian Government.
What does the Scheme offer?
If you are eligible for the Scheme, you may be able to receive:
- A $75,000 payment to recognise the harm of forced removal
- A $7,000 payment to help you with healing
- A Direct Personal Response where you tell your story about the impact of the removal to a senior government person and receive acknowledgement face-to-face or in writing
Who can apply?
knowmore can help you find out if you are eligible to apply for redress under the Scheme.
You may be eligible if you:
- Are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
- Are a survivor of the Stolen Generations
- Your removal took place in the Northern Territory before 1 July 1978, the Australian Capital Territory before 11 May 1989 or the Jervis Bay Territory
You may be eligible to apply for a family member if they passed away after the Scheme was announced on 5 August 2021.
Is this the best option for me?
Applying for redress under the Scheme might stop you from getting other support. It is important that you get legal advice and financial counselling about the best option. knowmore can help you with this. knowmore is a free and independent service.
When can I apply?
You can apply from 1 March 2022 until 28 February 2026.
Call knowmore on 1800 566 966 for independent legal advice and financial counselling support about the Territories Stolen Generations Redress Scheme.
Read more about the Territories Stolen Generations Redress Scheme. Emotional support services may also be available from the Scheme.
Stolen Generations survivors may also be eligible for other types of redress and compensation.