Can I get compensation?

If you have been injured in a violent act, including if you survived childhood sexual abuse, you may be able to receive compensation. You might want compensation to recognise the wrongdoing done to you and to recover money you have paid or will need to pay to help you recover.

You might be able to get compensation by:

  • making an application to your state or territory specific victims’ support services;
  • making an application for a reparation payment with a court;
  • taking legal action against the person and/or institution responsible for your injuries (civil claims);
  • applying to an institutional redress scheme; and/or
  • applying to the National Redress Scheme.

It is important that you get legal advice about the best option. knowmore can help you with this.

If you are in prison or have been sentenced to a prison term of five or more years your compensation options will be different. knowmore lawyers can advise you on your different compensation options and can refer you to a personal injury lawyer if needed.

Below are fact sheets detailing the different compensation options for the different states and territories as well as a fact sheet detailing your options in you are in gaol or if you have been sentenced to a prison term of five or more years.